Choosing Zen in the Jungle


     A couple of months back I was speaking with a colleague who works at another company in Uruguay.  Previously, he had lived in New York City for 10 years.  We were discussing how even with all the crime in his native country he felt he had a better life there.  I told him I thought it was because the time they have together there is more valued.  There are less distractions (typical of North American society) and more focus on enjoying and valuing what’s right in front of them.

    I live in a big city.  It can be a little crazy at times. And to be truthful, lately I find my self more and more seeking the peaceful life.  Perhaps, the modern version of the road less travelled.  Over the past few years because of all the construction in Montreal (which has been delayed for years) and the influx of people, the commute to work for many of us has become a chaotic, frenzied maze of bikes, cars, crowds, and delays - lots of delays.  Although, it has been frustrating, even exhausting at times, I’ve implemented a few small strategies that take me from mayhem to Zen in minutes, not only giving me some relief but, new found freedom and energy as well. 

     A colleague mentioned the other day this is because you are more in control.  Perhaps, but that’s only part of it.  In summary, my commute entails taking two busy buses and metros, daily.  To avoid some of the hurly-burly, hustle and bustle (and crowds of people) I choose to walk part way.  I get off the first habitually, over-loaded bus a few stops early, and walk through a beautiful park - lush with greenery and vibrant with life.  Every morning I’m greeted by this beautiful escapade of serene calmness, enshrouded with a variety of trees, and get to watch squirrels frolic on the sidelines while birds enjoy a sedentary breakfast or swim. Sometimes, I’m even welcomed with the fresh feel of dew-soaked grass, tickling my toes as I make my trek in sandal-clad feet.  This is truly my moment of Zen. (The calm in a sea of storms.) It may take me a few minutes longer to get to the metro (subway), but to me it doesn’t really matter, as those few moments in that world of beauty set the scene for a more serene commute, as I engage in the wondrous world around me. 

     This is just one of the choices I make daily - giving me the juice I require to maneuver the bumps and bustle ahead.  Choosing Zen in a world that sometimes appears to say we can’t! Sometimes we do indeed need to make bigger changes.  In the meantime however, we can enjoy the smaller moments and inner reflections, the silent precursors - whether it’s a lush leisurely stroll during a morning commute, or maybe just listening to Bruce Springsteen’s, “Born to Run” at the end of a hard day.  Finding Zen in the jungle – whatever it takes, we get to choose - because “Baby we were born to run!" 
     So tell me just what is your version of Zen?


Comments

Popular Posts